Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Folksonomy Specificity (or lack thereof)

Goddamn I love a tag.

Searching by category is an excellent way to filter the abundance of the internet, but I enjoy tagging things in a somewhat non-sensical manner in order to free myself from the thought-limiting aspects of focusing what you have read, will read, etc. into easily digestible themes.

Tagging is a double-edged sword. It allows you to easily search for a theme, but it is a selective and subjective practice that can lose important details. I often find myself mischaracterizing articles that I wish to read in the future due to my frenzied pursuit of ingesting more content.

I find that an abstract tag can help to separate content into more distinctive and descriptive mental containers. 50 things tagged "toread" and "webdev" can be more specifically tagged with other elements, but can also be tagged for theme or a distinctive passage that defines it.

Underlying theme or deep context allow different articles across domains to be able to be categorized together in ways that will connect them and, potentially, create new ideas and innovation.

Synthesis in folksonomy... perhaps I will practice what I preach and try this in a few different manners.

Categories: , , , , ,

No comments: