Saturday, April 16, 2005

Today in history... LSD was introduced to the world

Apr 16 1943

Chemist Albert Hofmann inadvertently experiences the world's first acid trip when a miniscule quantity of lysergic acid diethylamide accidently seeps through the skin of his finger. After leaving work early, he went home and settled into "a not unpleasant intoxicated condition." Then he had solid two hours of visual hallucinations: "I perceived an uninterrupted stream of fantastic pictures, extraordinary shapes with intense, kaleidoscopic play of colors." It will be another three days before Hofmann gets up the courage to swallow 250 micrograms and ride his bicycle home.
(via dailyrotten)

I love the story of Albert Hofmann taking the first acid trip... taking a small quantity of LSD to replicate his first odd experience. He had intended to journal the experience, but had a very strong reaction: "I thought I had died. My 'Ego' was suspended somewhere in space and I saw my body lying dead on the sofa. I observed and registered clearly that my 'alter ego" was moving around the room, moaning" (Psychedelics Encyclopedia 3rd Ed.).

I find it fascinating that this research chemist came back to ergot synthesoids on a whim... having had "a peculiar presentiment" regarding properties of the substance not seen in animal tests.

The legitimate clinical uses of d-lysergic acid diethylamide have always been fascinating. It is a shame that this drug was illegalized and made unavailable for psychological research.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Blogger, I found your blog quite informative.
I just came across your blog and wanted to
drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with it.
I give you my best wishes for your future endeavors.
If you have a moment, please visit my acid trips site.
Have a great week!