Thursday, May 12, 2005

MPAA Suing TV Sharers

Just to make sure I have not missed anything... I can buy a VHS tape from the grocery store, Best Buy, even Wal-Mart, then I could tape a TV show and show that tape to my friends and copy it as many times as I would like... but if I download that TV show off Bittorrent I am infringing upon a copyright?

What?!? Am I missing something?

I have been turned on to numerous shows that I have missed by downloading episodes from bittorrent (24, Lost, Penn & Teller Bullshit). I have never waited for a show on bittorent that I could watch as it is fed to my home initially. So, why is the MPAA shutting down bittorrent websites? Do they want people to not have an easy and free introductory medium to their shows? Do they think that TV that is encoded in XVID or DIVX is comparable to a full-featured DVD release?

Bittorrent allows people the ability to begin watching a show at any time in the season, not just the beginning. This increases the TV Network's viewership... then increasing profits.

I must say that the MPAA is out of line. I will admit that copyright infringers of DVD releases do lessen the profit margins of MPAA properties (I will admit I have never downloaded a movie), but TV sharing is something that is over the airwaves (and realistically just a copy of something they can get in their home for free) and allows the casual viewer the ability to catch-up and become an everyday viewer of their TV program.

I imagine that a statistical analysis of this data would show that TV filesharing does nothing but increase the viewership of programs. Idiots...

Read about this here... or here... either way, you will be sickened by the MPAA. Why not throw in the unwashed's Slashdot talkback as well to see how the trolls and unthinking view this issue...

Categories: , , ,

No comments: